Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Grand Old Man...

I was breathing heavy with my running and in the distance I saw an old man moving slowly.. all around life was moving so fast yet he moved so slow.. his wrinkled face smiled as often as he could.. I had to look closer to see if he was really smiling.. his smile had a story to tell.. As I approached him in running gear.. I decided to draw a story of his life in my head.. I am usually good Judge of how and who people are.. I looked at the dress he was wearing.. check shirt (white and black).. he had a wooden walking stick (one piece).. no fancy watch.. still had very nice white hair.. his pants seemed rather fine finish.. his sandals was quiet clean and outstanding.. his specs really made his look nice.. what made me study him more was his wrinkles.. rather heavy ones.. a thought pondered in my head.. will I grow to be this old.. his smile was slow but really had something special attached to it.. I thought to myself.. I am going to talk to him.. and see what he really is.. Is he the person who I think he is??

I slowed my pace of running as I came close to him.. walked up to him catching my breathe.. I said "good evening sire".. he looked at me smiled.. a smile so radiant.. "good evening son" he responded.. "Would you mind If I gave you company?" His reply amused me .. " Son do you think you can catch up with me".. interesting I thought... " tell me something about you" he said.. the big mouth that I was started " I am so and so.. I do so and so.. and yadda and yadda.." went on for some time.. he listened patiently as I elaborated my life in front of him.. He never for once lost my words... paid keen attention to all of my words... i finally ended ".. now sire I am really interested in knowing about u"..

He smiled he said proudly " my name is Khan.. professor Khan.. I was a professor in university of Delhi.. been teaching all my life.. I hold a PHD in maths.. " .. my pace of walking slowed and I felt he was moving faster than me... he went on .. " I am father of five children .. 3 sons and 2 daughters... all my children are married .. i am now 76 years old.. I am grateful that I can still walk on my feet.." I could see his wrinkled hands move to tell a story .. I listened gulping at his stories.. I could see his eyes widen as he explained in detail.. several stories associated with his life.. some made me smile.. and some made me feel small.. .. he paused in between to take deep breathes.. my eyes questioned him to go on.. finally I asked him .. " how come in dubai".. he replied " well I stay in an old age home".. he smiled.. " my children are too busy making there lives.." he looked at me.. " they have made it big.. have grand children as well.. came here to celebrate my 76th birthday... it was nice to see all my children together .. have a feeling deep within me this is the last time I am going to see them.. tomorrow I fly back home... not home .. Delhi.. my old age home await me.. a few days for my race in this world to end.. "

I felt my legs feel heavy.. I could not keep up wid his pace.. I felt very heavy.. my heart was so heavy.. I held his hands.. and i said " I will wait for you next year this time.. will you make this walk with me ?" he smiled and moved on .. leaving me behind.. I looked back.. and I felt like I walked long.. my feet just would not let me move.. I sat on the chair beside the walk way.. and watched him walk the walk.. The Green mile looked so close for him and yet so far me..

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cant comment. This is too emotional. Mayb I too am sitting on a bench watching the old man walk.

Anonymous said...

very well written and moving. I can imagine sitting there and watching the old man go by. Old age is something so sad and especially when you have been sent to an old age home, afetr taking care of your kids.
Yeah, i can appreciate the words.

Anonymous said...

Very well written and touching. Sad to see the old man has five kids and no one is with him! :(

Tracy deSouza said...

Wow. Touching. Did this really happen? I love talking to people, and listening to their stories, especially old people; there is so much wisdom in their words. And you've put it down so well. This is a really heart wrenching story. The wrinkles in the story remind me of this post I wrote a while ago:
http://riot-gurrl.blogspot.com/2010/11/lines-run-deep-into-his-face-like.html

Anway, well done. Keep up the good writing =)

Anonymous said...

nice story :)

Videv said...

good 1 dude.. though u could have avoided the extra dots all over the place.. (and..
BTW "the green mile" is used to refer death row inmates awaiting their penalty .. not old dudes retiring from life..)

Nathan said...

Thank you guys for the really nice comments .. means a lot to me..

Nathan said...

Videv.. the Idea in using the green mile was to represent his life ending in such pain more like a Con convicted to his death sentence by his own children. I will surely take note of the dots next time

Sangu said...

late entrant here...but this post moved me to tears..!and i am serious...i was crying...!soul stirring post...very good post nithin...!!